Sunday, October 6, 2013

Social Media Profiles. For Creepers!


You've probably heard it before, "Be careful what you post online", as if the N.S.A. is gonna get all Edward Snowden on you ,and come down tomorrow because you posted a drunk picture from the party last night. Does anyone else find it weird that jobs may look at your Facebook page? 

Technically, Facebook is a social network. But it's a large picture sharing site, also. I mean, it's kind of a personal page that is created for friends and family. So why is a possible employer searching for me on Facebook? It just seems kind of creepy. When I turn in a resume, I don't give my Facebook url to some person I don't know because it's none of their business. Does my profile pic prove that I will be a better worker? No, it doesn't. It's totally irrelevant. Looking into my personal pages online is an invasion of privacy. What's worse is that using my profile pic to possibly disqualify me from a job is unethical.Most Social Networks are not professional enough in atmosphere to be looked at with future employment in mind. 
Some people have realized this and created their profiles according. Privacy settings on Facebook and Google+ have been customized to let the user select "friends" and place them into "groups", allowing the user to decide who sees what on their profile. This may help to develop a "squeaky clean" profile, if wanted. I would suggest everyone with a public profile, switch to a private profile ASAP. Then create groups of friends to decide who sees what. John may be the biggest drunk on the planet but it's hard for people to know that if they don't see it. And apparently, that's what people want, is to not see your drunk pictures on the internet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment